The Irish Terrier Club of America’s constitution requires its members to do all in their power to protect and to advance the interests of the breed. To that end, I agree to abide by the provisions below which apply to my particular circumstances either as an owner or as a breeder.
I agree that as an owner of Irish Terrier(s) I will:
- Follow the “Golden Rule” in that I will do unto others as I would have done unto me in all dog enterprises.
- Always endeavor, with regards to my Irish Terrier(s), to act in a courteous and responsible manner, which includes keeping my Irish under control at all times, cleaning up after my Irish and trying to leave public places we frequent in better condition than we found them.
- Be familiar with and abide by the rules of the American Kennel Club.
- Consider the welfare of Irish Terriers above personal gain/profit.
- Be honest with others in all my representations about my Irish Terriers, including issues of appearance and health.
- Never be a part of any illegal “sport” activity which could result in harm or injury to any animal.
I agree that as a breeder of Irish Terriers I will:
- Produce litters only to improve the breed and when adequate care can be provided in raising and placing the pups.
- Always consider the age, health and well being of the bitch in making my breeding decisions, including frequency and number of breedings.
- Never breed a bitch before she is one year old and sufficiently mature.
- Keep accurate breeding records and pedigrees, and aid in the prompt registration of all puppies in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations.
- Offer a written agreement of sale to all puppy purchasers, reserving the right to provide a “Limited Registration”.
- Place puppies with new owners only after I am convinced that the buyer will provide responsible and humane care.
- To the best of my ability help re-home any puppies or dogs of my breeding should any occasion arise indicating that this assistance is needed.
- Advertise honestly.
- Not be a party to the breeding of Irish Terriers for sale to “wholesalers”, or to commercial distributors of any description, including research laboratory facilities.
- Breed only healthy stock, free of genetic defects, transmittable diseases, and unsound behavior (such as unwarranted aggression or shyness towards humans).
- Provide stud dog services only to bitches registered with the American Kennel Club or kennel clubs recognized by the AKC.
- Act in a responsible and helpful manner to all of my puppy owners.
- Encourage permanent identification, such as tattoo or microchip.
- Be honest with respect to the health, conformation and disposition of all my Irish Terriers, dams, sires, and offspring.
Acknowledgement and Agreement
As a condition of membership in the Irish Terrier Club of America, I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood this Code of Ethics. I accept this Code of Ethics in its entirety and I agree to be bound by it. I agree further, that membership in the Irish Terrier Club of America is a privilege, not a right, and that